Saturday, May 16, 2009

Mountain Day Trip

Decided to go hiking to a couple waterfalls along the Blue Ridge Parkway today. We drove up in the morning and headed first to Looking Glass Falls. I have pictures of it in the Fall, but I wanted to get some pictures of it in the spring time. It's next to the road, so the only hiking here is down to the base and along the river. We drove Highway 276 up to the Parkway and I was amazed at how beautiful the spring green trees were in this area. When we reached the Parkway we headed south stopping along the way until we go to the area where the Lower Bubbling Springs Branch waterfall was that we would be hiking to. This was a fun hike that even Jullian enjoyed.

The trail we took crossed the river four times and we had to hop rocks at the end of the trial to get to the base of the waterfall. After spending awhile there we headed back up to the Parkway in time for the fog to start moving in. We were at Devil's Courthouse for just a few minutes when the fog got so thick we could see just a few feet in front of us. I decided that it was time to head down the mountain before it got dark, so we wouldn't be stranded up there in the fog. It was a great day up on the mountains and hiking to the waterfalls - as it always is.

No comments: