The mountains got some good snow this week, so we headed up that way for the day because I wanted to take pictures. It was windy and freezing cold while we were there with the temps in the teens. While I was taking pictures my hands and face would become numb within a couple minutes because of the cold, so I had to move quick and then warm up again before my next shot. The roads were pretty good everywhere except on the Parkway where they were pretty icy. Some sections of the Parkway were closed. Near Grandfather Mountain we parked along the side of the road and walked up onto the Parkway, so I could take pictures. The road was covered with about six inches of ice and then snow on top of that - it was very slippery because even the snow was frozen because of the freezing rain. When strong gusts of wind blew, which was often, we had to brace ourselves to not get blown over because our shoes had no traction on the ice. It was cold, but it was fun! We got to see some deer that were looking for food while we were out. They were along the side of the road and didn't mind that we pulled up next to them and parked to watch them. I didn't get too many pictures, but it was nice being in the mountains all the same - even if it was freezing cold.
Saturday, January 2, 2010
To The Mountains For Snow
The mountains got some good snow this week, so we headed up that way for the day because I wanted to take pictures. It was windy and freezing cold while we were there with the temps in the teens. While I was taking pictures my hands and face would become numb within a couple minutes because of the cold, so I had to move quick and then warm up again before my next shot. The roads were pretty good everywhere except on the Parkway where they were pretty icy. Some sections of the Parkway were closed. Near Grandfather Mountain we parked along the side of the road and walked up onto the Parkway, so I could take pictures. The road was covered with about six inches of ice and then snow on top of that - it was very slippery because even the snow was frozen because of the freezing rain. When strong gusts of wind blew, which was often, we had to brace ourselves to not get blown over because our shoes had no traction on the ice. It was cold, but it was fun! We got to see some deer that were looking for food while we were out. They were along the side of the road and didn't mind that we pulled up next to them and parked to watch them. I didn't get too many pictures, but it was nice being in the mountains all the same - even if it was freezing cold.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
Sounds like an adventure.
Post a Comment