Saturday, January 20, 2007

Time To Update

It's been just over a week since I've written! Time flies! There is not much going on with us here - it's pretty much the mundane things of life right now.

Last weekend we were wearing shorts because the temperatures here have been on the warm side, but this past week we finally got some winter weather. We had a storm come through that brought us some freezing rain and sleet on our ride in to work and school on Thursday morning. It was really cold all day - I think we got up to the lower or mid-thirties for a high, but the storm passed and the temps climbed back to normal for this time of year.

Friday I worked half a day and took the Explorer in to have some work done on it. While I waited I walked around the area and took some pictures of some old abandoned train cars. I was surprised that they were left to rot and that the city hasn't removed them. They've obviously been there awhile from the amount of rust and decay on them. They've also been used by homeless people and were full of junk and old furniture. There had been a fire in one car because everything inside it was burned nearly beyond recognition. Still, I took some picture around the cars. The shots were close up, detail shots, of diferent parts of the train. I haven't processed the pictures, yet, but they look like they turned out pretty good.

I recently was invited to become a member of a small group of photographers and each month we are given photo assignments that will hopefully stretch our photography skills beyond what we are used to. For January we were paired up with another person in the group and we were to answer some questions and forward them to our partner. We then take the answers we've been given and come up with a photograph. My partner's favorite color is blue and likes rock music, so I decided I wanted to take a picture of a blue guitar. I don't know anyone with a blue guitar, so I went to a music store and told them I was with a small group of photographers and we are given assignments and I needed to take a picture of a blue guitar. I told them I didn't even know if they had a blue guitar, but if they did, would they be willing to let me take some pictures of it. To my surprise they did have a blue electric guitar and were super nice and let me photograph it. So, I spent about a half-hour or so in the store taking pictures of this guitar. A couple of the shots turned out pretty decent, so I will decide on which one to use and upload it to my Better Photo gallery on Monday - that's are submission date. I had never gone in to a store and requested an item to photograph, so that was something new I did this week. I'm curious to see what the others have come up with. Some were having a difficult time with this assignment and some said they had theirs done today.

Well today, Saturday, we did our normal chores around the house. I went to get some new tires for the del sol, but they stopped selling the size for it, so I'm going to have to special order them. I took Jullian to a comic book store that he's been wanting to go to for a few weeks. I was really surprised at a lot of the comic books there. Quite a few are adult oriented and extremely violent - not at all what they used to be. I also cut Jullian's hair tonight. He needed a haircut, but didn't want much cut off and didn't want to go get it cut because they always cut more off than he wants. I always tell them to cut more because it grows so fast and it gives us a little more time between cuts. Anyway, he said he would rather have me do it. It's been a long time since I've cut someones hair, but it didn't look too bad. I just trimmed it up, taking a little more off the sides than the top. When I finished cutting his hair, I took some pictures of some things I want to sell on eBay. Now I just have to get them listed and hope they sell.

That's pretty much, in a nutshell, what's been going on with us. It's a pretty ho-hum life going on right now.

1 comment:

Gerhard and Cynthia Koch said...

I look forward to seeing the blue guitar shots. That was a good idea. Who knows, if you do that more often, someone might hire you to make photographs for their business website.