Saturday, June 30, 2007

Good Conversation

Since school has been out I've had Jullian do a different type of Bible reading/study than he has normally done in the past and I really like the results. I have him read one chapter a day (he's reading in the New Testament) and then I have him write down three observations or things he sees that are clearly written in the text. Then I have him write down three questions he has from the text he read. I think it has really been effective in helping him to slow down while he's reading the Bible (he's a really fast reader) and the questions are helping him to think about what he reads. Some of his questions are really good and some really tough. They range from what is the definition of a word to tough questions that we probably won't know this side of heaven.

This evening our conversation turned to some of his questions that I think stemmed from his Bible reading. (He's obviously been thinking about it.) It began with questions about salvation and why does/doesn't God allow or make people choose Him. From there it lead into a lot of conversation about God and His ways. I answered him with what I know and what I didn't know I told him that I didn't and that some questions we'll just have to wait until we get to heaven for an answer, if we even get it then. It was really neat that throughout the evening the things we did and the little bit of television we watched brought opportunities to point out some of the things we were talking about and how faith and trust in God come into practice on our part. Jullian is at that age now where his faith and walk with God begin separating from mine and he begins making more of his decisions about following and trusting God. I just hope and pray that his decisions lead him down the path of the will of God and to a close walk with Him.

Here's a picture of Jullian's Bible and notebook he writes his observations and questions in. Yea, I know I take pictures of everything, but they help preserve the moment.

2 comments:

Gerhard and Cynthia Koch said...

Great idea to have Biblical conversations. Bible study is so interesting. It's a shame more people don't take time to study & learn from it. You are doing a wonderful job training/raising Jullian!

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful thing to capture with your camera. Good ideal for bible study. Maybe I can try something like that with the girls just on their levels.
Cindy