Well, after lots of prayers and pondering the decision we decided to find a new home for Summer. She's a wonderful dog and I love her to death, but I didn't feel right leaving her home by herself all the time and the trip to the mountains put several things in perspective about having a dog. I typically think back to having a dog when I was a kid and there was always someone home to care for it and it's just not that way in our home. We leave in the morning for school and work and Jullian gets home nine hours later (when his bus isn't late) and I get home ten hours later. The poor dog has to stay in the house all day long and not go to the bathroom until we get home. Often times after we eat dinner we have to run errands during the week and on the weekend we're often gone - leaving Summer alone again. The past couple weeks have been extremely busy with us being gone a lot of the time - once again putting things in perspective. She is just too sweet to be left alone all the time and she hated it. Every morning when we would leave we would tell her to go to her room - she would obey and walk to her room (the washroom) with her head down and tail between her legs because she knew we were leaving.
So, I placed an ad in the on-line version of the newspaper and within an hour I had several calls and e-mails from people wanting her. We settled on a nice newlywed couple who have their own business and work from home, so Summer will have someone with her. They fell in love with Summer when they came to visit and Summer was on her best behavior for them. Jullian said she was performing for them because she acted so well and sweet, which made it all that much more difficult to give her away.
Jullian wasn't upset at all that we found a new home for Summer. In fact, he was kind of glad to not have the responsibility of taking care of her and I think the newness of having her had already worn off. He has been more concerned with what's going on with school and friends now that school is back in session. I miss her though, much more than Jullian. She is a really sweet dog. :o(
Thursday, September 6, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
Oh, that is soooo sad!!! She'll like having people home with her though & to be able to go outside more often. You guys could just put an ad in the paper over the Summer to dog-sit for people going on vacations. Or check with Pat (Julie's mom). She might could put you in contact with people looking for sitters for nice dogs.
I am so sorry you had to give Summer away. I know how much you love dogs and how attached you were getting to that dog. I'm sure she is very happy with her new family.
Cindy
Post a Comment