They arrived Friday afternoon about three o'clock and we sat and talked for a couple hours before going to Smokey Bones for dinner. They were planning to stay in Charlotte for the night, so I invited them to stay at my house and we stayed up late talking about everything from family to trips to politics to you name it. I got to hear so many old stories about them and about Grandpa that I had never heard before. I really enjoyed spending time with them and just getting to know them better. I never knew that my Uncle Jerry liked to buy old cars and fix them up and that he liked to play and watch football. I never knew that my Aunt Shirley had a sister and two brothers and that there were characters in her family that were much like some characters in our familiy. In all the years I've seen and talked with them I had never really spent any time getting to know them. Normally when I see them it is in one our large family gatherings and everyone is moving from person to person chatting.
Saturday morning I fixed breakfast and we talked again for a few hours before they headed on their way. They showed me pictures of their girls and it's been so long since I've seen them that I hardly recognized them. They are all grown up and have kids of their own. Wendy even has grandchildren. It's hard to believe how the years have flown by. They drove up to Washington DC and then were going to New York to meet their daughter Sherry. They'll drive back down the east coast to Florida before flying back to Arizona. I am so glad they stopped by to visit. I really enjoyed seeing them.
Here we are just before they left for Washington DC.


2 comments:
Sounds like you had a good time. Good picture of you guys. Hopefully they will come by again sometime. That's one of the luxeries of being retired. More spare time. My 30th anivasary with the company was yesterday. I still have many years before I can retire.
Cindy
Who are those crazy guys that just show up out of the blue? You just never know who might show up on your doorstep. We really enjoyed visiting with you and Julian. We also enjoyed your hospitality, the dinner, bed and breakfast was great! I looked at your blog a few days ago but didn't have time to comment, so I can honestly say I like your new format. I love your pictures, I wish we lived near you so you could teach me how to take good pictures.
Shirley
Post a Comment